New Years Resolutions 2018
Here are my 5 new years resolutions for 2018.
- Become a better computer scientist
- Get more work in the blockchain space
- Build an open source project
- V10 climber on the moonboard
- Take a trip back home
Become a better computer scientist
As a self taught programmer I have always prided myself on my tenacity and ability to learn. However there are many aspects of computer science I have chosen to ignore through lack of practicality or to some part fear. I want to counter that with some education.
- Take at least 3 courses related to data structures, algorithms, cryptography, networking or other computer science topics
Get more work in the blockchain space
Cryptocurrency has been the name of the game in 2017. Prices have skyrocketed and there is a lot of new opportunities in this space. In 2016 I built an account verifier for the DAOHub. In 2017 I worked on the ENS manager. In 2018 I want to spend more time in this space and build a larger portfolio of work.
- Go to at least one blockchain related meet up per month
- Go to Devcon4
- Participate in at least two blockchain hackathons
Build an open source project
I have built two open source projects that are currently. The ENS manager in 2017, which was funded by Nick Johnson of the Ethereum foundation and some other generous donators, as well as Jest Fetch Mock in 2016. Each has been an interesting programming challenge in itself, but the art of providing a resource for others to use has been a fulfilling way to give back to the community that I have taken so much from.
- Come up with at least one open source idea per week and keep them journaled
- Do at least one day a week of work on open source work
V10 climber on the moonboard
2017 for the first half of the year I was training very hard to become a stronger climber. The later half I spent more time working on body strength and healing some injuries. I think all in all I did my best to try and get stronger, but staying healthy ultimately topped this. However in 2018 I will keep this same goal and steadily work towards it.
- Continue climbing 3 days+ per week
- Moonboard at least once per week
- Restart fingerboard training
Take a trip back home
I haven't been back to london since Christmas 2015. It's time to take a trip back.
- Duh, book a ticket back to the UK